Tank Safe Campaign Launched for Oil Heated Homeowners

Star Oil a member of The FPS (Federation of Petroleum suppliers) has joined forces with OFTEC (Oil Firing Technical Association) to launch the Tank Safe Campaign urging oil-heated homeowners to make sure their storage tanks are fit for purpose.

The campaign features information on the Oilsave website www.oilsave.org.uk for homeowners, oil distributors and service technicians and there is a short information video for homeowners on the Oilsave You Tube channel.

It is the responsibility of the homeowner to maintain any oil tanks on their property and to avoid them failing.

Spills and leaks can be extremely costly to clean up and can contaminate groundwater supplies and building foundations.

What you can do:

Conduct a quick visual check every few months for any of the following warning signs:

● Rust
● Cracks
● Splits
● Bulging
● Subsidence on the base
● Gauges falling over or not working
● Tanks overgrown with foliage
● Unusual oil smell
● Sudden usage increase.


Annual servicing:

A tank inspection should be performed annually at the time of the boiler service.
Your service engineer will check your tank for general condition and check for the presence of
water/condensation, which will collect at the bottom. If condensation is present, it will be stirred
upon oil delivery and may be carried down to the boiler and cause a breakdown.
An OFTEC registered technicians will provide a report on the condition of your tank detailing
observations and any actions you need to take to prevent an oil pollution incident occurring.

Other important factors to consider:

● Does my home insurance cover me?
● What could happen in the event of leak or overspill?
● Who would pay the clean-up costs?

What should I do if my Tank is damaged?

● Have an OFTEC registered technician fit a new steel or plastic bunded tank, preferably
with a top feed oil supply arrangement.
● Make arrangements to have your new oil tank maintained on an annual basis.


Why should I do it?

● You will have peace of mind that your oil is safe and contained, and that you are unlikely
to cause any pollution.

Who should I contact?

● An FPS Fuel Distributor or OFTEC registered installer.

When should I do it?

● As soon as possible

More FAQ’s

● Go to: www.oilsave.org.uk

Recent Posts